Many of us welcome the cooler temperatures here in Florida as we head into the fall season. So too do the creepy crawlies — those bugs that appear just in time for Halloween to warm themselves inside our homes. What makes them more visible than usual and what can you do about it? Read on as we explain and offer some helpful tips.
Most common bugs to find indoors in the fall
Ants and roaches are among the most common bugs you’ll find in Florida, and they can be especially visible during fall and winter seasons. If you see more than usual in your home, here are a few reasons why:
- They are entering from your garage and into your home. Garages tend to be damp areas in Florida. That’s partly because they aren’t as well insulated as the rest of your house. Many garages also include washers and dryers, which produce moisture. As you walk between your home and garage to do that load of laundry, bugs will scurry through the open door without you ever being aware.
- Unsealed openings around your home. For ants, this includes tiny openings at the edges of your window sills and screens. Roaches are bold and opportunistic enough to come through larger openings, including your front door and patio doors.
- Soffits. Damage to your soffits will allow in the larger bugs, but ants don’t need that much room to make their way into your attic.
Once they make their way inside, roaches and ants will head for areas that have moisture and food. That includes under your kitchen sink, behind your stove, and under your refrigerator.
How to keep out the creepy crawlies
Calling a certified pest controller like JD Smith is an essential step to keeping out these unwanted intruders. Here are a few things you can do personally to keep them out:
- Seal up openings in doors, windows, and garage doors. Patch tears in screens, and seal up holes with silicone caulk.
- Clear out your gutters. During the fall, it doesn’t take long for leaves and tiny sticks to pile up in your rain gutters. Each one may carry with it many bugs. Keep your gutters clear, and reduce the risk of ants making their way into your home.
- Close your doors. If you’re carrying in groceries or doing a load of laundry, you may think leaving the door open for just a few seconds won’t matter. But it does, especially when bugs are startled by the flip of a light switch and must scurry quickly to escape danger.
- Don’t leave food outside. The food you leave outside for your pets and neighborhood cats is also attracting the roaches and ants you don’t want.
- Secure your trash bin. Be sure to also put out your bins on collection day to keep them free of the food that bugs seek.
- Create space between your plants, trees, and home. Trim back branches so that ants can’t easily access your home. It’s also a good idea to keep mulch away from the side of your house, as wet mulch can also attract a variety of bugs.
Choose JD Smith for Your Pest Control
If you’ve been seeing more bugs than usual, or you’re concerned you may have a few too many entry points into your home, don’t wait to take action. Call us at 727-443-0465 and let us provide a full assessment of your home.
We deliver pest control services for a wide range of pests, including roaches, ants, termites, rats, and many others. You’ll keep down your exterminator costs when you work with JD Smith, because we provide free inspections to determine the best course of treatment.
Our certified technicians will deliver a complete home service package that provides numerous benefits including:
- A complete inspection of your property to identify potential areas for future colonization and current issues.
- Interior solutions will include treatment applications for your entire home including cracks, crevices, entryways, baseboards, and window areas.
- Exterior solutions will create an impenetrable barrier that will prevent any further infestations.
- Environmentally friendly products that are safe for your family, especially, children and pets.
- Odorless products help you breathe easier and eliminate the need to leave your home during treatment.
Rely on us and you’ll know you have the protection you need to enjoy the cooler weather as well as the warm confines of your home. Schedule a free inspection today.