As the weather warms up, pests come out of hibernation, looking for food and shelter in your home or lawn. That’s why spring is such an important time to take preventative measures to protect them – and your peace of mind — from persistent invaders like termites, ants, roaches, and rodents. We’ve put together some expert tips for keeping your property free of pests during this time of renewal.
Let’s look at what you can do to stop worrying and enjoy the gorgeous spring weather.
Signs that you may have a pest problem
Protecting your home from pests starts with knowing what to look (and listen) for. Here are some common invaders and how to spot signs of their activity:
- Termites. Check for signs of swarming, which include discarded wings left on or near window sills and doorways. Also check baseboards and the bottom of furniture for damage from termites feeding on the wood.
- Ants. Look for them on kitchen countertops, particularly near sweet foods and water sources (like your sink). You’ll spot some varieties at the edge of your carpet and inside walls (so take a quick peek at your electrical outlets, too).
- Roaches. These ugly bugs thrive in moist environments, which is why you’ll find them scurrying under your refrigerator, in your garage, and in the cabinets under your sinks. If you don’t see them running for cover when you turn the lights on, look for their droppings, which appear to be small black pellets.
- Rodents. Bite marks on your roof vent shields, shredded insulation, and chewed-up wood in your attic indicate you’ve got a rat or squirrel problem. Also, look for openings in your soffit (which they can use to enter your attic and set up their nests), and listen for scratching noises in the walls. We’ve got more tips you can follow to control a rodent problem.
If you notice any unpleasant odors or unusual activity you can’t explain, call a pest control service right away to find the source of the problems.
How to prevent pests from ruining your spring
Spring is a great time to be proactive against pests because that is when many insects are still dormant. Catch them early, and you’ll stop a problem from getting much worse.
The exception to this advice: species of subterranean termites, which swarm at this time to increase their colony size. You definitely want to look for their signs of activity and bring in a professional inspector to help. Other easy steps you can take or delegate to someone to protect your home and family include:
- Seal cracks in your foundation and walls. Inspect the exterior of your home for cracks and gaps that pests might use to get inside. Use caulk, foam, or steel wool to seal any openings.
- Protect vents. Add mesh coverings for dryer vents and shields for your roof vents. This is especially useful against rodents, who otherwise use these as access points to the inside of your home.
- Set traps in your attic. Traps can control a possible rodent problem. We recommend trusting a professional to provide this service.
- Keep your yard free of waste. Open trash cans are a food source for roaches, ants, and rodents. Cover your garbage containers with a tight-fitting lid. Also, get rid of any rotting wood in your yard, as it can attract unwanted guests.
- Cut back foliage that touches your house. Trim branches and hedges where they touch your home’s exterior walls. This will take away the natural bridges that bugs and animals use to get into and onto your home and roof.
By taking these protective measures, you’ll help limit the presence of pests and keep them away from your home.
Prepare your yard with lawn services
Your yard is one of the first things people notice about your property. And because you have pride in your real estate, you want it to look great. Spring is the perfect time of year to begin caring for your lawn. For your grass to grow healthy, you need to defend it against the millions of insects and diseases that can damage it.
Here’s how a professional lawn service in the spring will set the stage for a healthy lawn all year long:
- Stamp out weeds. There’s a good reason that “pop up like weeds” is a common phrase. These unsightly and undesirable plants took a break during the fall and winter, but now it’s spring and they’re back, ready to ruin the look of your lawn by spreading out all over. JD Smith’s experts can identify the weeds in your yard and apply the best treatment to kill them and keep more from coming back.
- Get rid of destructive Insects. Some bugs – including beetles and spiders — can be good for your lawn. They improve the quality of the soil, help with the pollination of your favorite flowers, and keep destructive pests at bay. It’s the latter group that an annual lawn treatment service can help with. Lawn treatment will control pesky sod webworms, chinch bugs, grubs, grasshoppers, armyworms, and all manner of lawn-destroying creatures. Our preventative service will also help keep your pets free of fleas and ticks while they enjoy the outdoors.
- Fertilize. Spring is when your lawn starts growing again, making it the best time to feed it healthy nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. By enriching the soil, we’ll give your grass the food it needs to grow.
- Stop fungus and lawn disease. Brown patches. Mushrooms. Thatch. All will quickly ruin your grass if you don’t address the issue right away by applying fungicides and other fungus-control solutions. Rely on JD Smith to keep your lawn healthy with the right blend of fungicides and other treatments (like herbicides).
With proper care, your lawn will be the envy of the neighborhood and increase the value of your home. You’ll have a deep green lawn that looks great and feels great under your feet. You’ll also be giving your family months of safe play time and relaxation in your front and back yards.
Prepare for the spring invasion with JD Smith Pest Control
Be proactive when it comes to pest control for your home. By regularly inspecting your home and yard for signs of pests, you can quickly identify a problem and take steps to treat it. This could include the use of sprays, baits, traps, and other methods of pest control.
The best prevention against pests is having a dedicated and expert professional on your side. JD Smith Pest Control will inspect your home thoroughly and apply necessary services, such as termite control. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can apply the treatments that will keep pests of all types away from your castle.