Hurricane season typically runs from June 1 to November 30. During this time, Floridians prepare for the storms that form in the Atlantic Ocean and could possibly make landfall.
Here in the Tampa Bay area, we typically see between six and nine inches of rain during the summer months, which are right in the middle of hurricane season. Last year, Tampa had received nearly 26.5 inches of rain during the rainy season through mid-August. That’s over seven inches above its average. This year could be even wetter.
Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are predicting that above-average temperatures will lead to more hurricanes than in a typical season. This makes it all the more important to make sure you’re ready with hurricane supplies, plans for evacuation, and a pest control service that will keep a variety of rodents and bugs from seeking shelter in your home as the winds and rains disturb their regular habitat.
How to prepare your home during hurricane season
As we’ve shared before, bugs are a major nuisance when the weather turns humid and wet. Bugs seeks moisture, so you can expect to see more mosquitos, roaches, bees, ticks, and ants in and around your home.
To safeguard your home or business before hurricane season take full effect, follow these steps:
- Get rid of any standing water. This includes emptying wading pools, dumping out buckets, and turning your empty trash cans upside down. Keep your trash containers sealed with their lids when they have garbage in them.
- Clear your gutters so that water doesn’t accumulate.
- Seal cracks and other openings that pests can use to enter your home as they seek shelter.
- Clean your driveway and walkways so that bugs don’t gather in the dirt and grime that accumulates in the cracks.
- Get a seasonal home inspection by your trusted pest control service.
Pest control is important during hurricane season because it will help keep rodents and bugs from nesting inside your dry home. It will also eliminate them from the areas that become wet outside your home.
Prepare for hurricane season with JD Smith Pest Control
At JD Smith Pest Control, we have the experience to get you through a relatively pest-free hurricane season. Call us today to perform a free inspection on your home or commercial space. We will inspect your entire property for pest activity and provide a treatment that will control them and keep them from invading your home when the downpours start.
If you end up being affected by a storm and discover a pest problem, contact us right away. Call us us at 727-443-0465. You can also conveniently contact us online at any time.